WELCOME MML SKILLS COACHES!
Skills Coaches provide a VITAL SERVICE in helping couples move from learning
ABOUT the MML Skills in theory to actually LIVING OUT the MML Skills in their daily lives—taking the MML Skills from the realm of ideas to actually becoming the way the couple communicates with each other and with other people.
While this entire blog is dedicated to all things MML in California, this page is exclusively dedicated to resources, links and posts on this important topic of Skills Coaching.
TYPES OF SKILLS COACHING:
Coaching in Class: During the practice dialogue sessions in MML classes, a coach will sit with a couple and provide coaching comments as needed or requested to help the couple stay in skill. We believe these practice dialogues in the class are where the couple first learns how to use the skills correctly. The coach helps them do that.
Coaching by Phone: We are especially encouraged by the results of Skills Coaching by Phone. We believe that this process of receiving a 30-minute coaching call once a week for several weeks offers the BEST way for the couple to practice the skills properly on a regular basis on a topic of their choosing, and quite literally “bring the skills home.”
Video Demonstration of Coaching by Phone:
Watch a Short Video featuring MML facilitators Don & Alex Flecky explaining Phone Coaching, and Don doing Phone Coaching with a couple:
SAMPLE PHONE COACHING TESTIMONIALS:
“My husband and I had our first phone coaching session today. I would like to express how much we enjoyed it. It made us feel very comfortable to be in the privacy of our own home. It helped us feel safe with using our new skills. I can see us in the future sitting in the same spot to get through future issues on our own. We are so blessed to have found this course!”
~ Rebecca and Carl
General Guide to MML Skills Coaching – Complete (English). This guide is a comprehensive resource that provides the tools and tips to set your Skills Coaching up for success, especially for in-class coaching.
- General Guide to MML Skills Coaching – Complete (Spanish).
- Guide to Phone Coaching the MML Skills (English).All you need to do effective phone coaching of couples.
Audio Recordings to Assist Coaches using MML Skills Recordings below are intended to provide newly trained coaches with assistance and demonstrations of phone coaching the MML skills.
ATTEND AN MML COACHING TRAINING!!
Get trained to be a volunteer MML (Mastering the Mysteries of Love) Skills Coach who helps couples as they practice the MML Skills in class – and on the phone or webcam! This MML Coaching Training is sponsored by the California Healthy Marriages Coalition (CHMC) and there is no charge to attend. If you have a heart for marriages, this is a wonderful opportunity to be trained in an important service! If you’ve attended an MML class, you are eligible to be trained. This training consists of two 3-hour segments. See the description below to determine whether you must attend the first segment, which may sometimes be waived.
- MML Skills Refresher Class: This 3-hour class is the first step to becoming an Authorized MML Skills Coach. It provides an overview of the 10 MML skills. This class may be waived if the attendee completed his or her 16-hour MML class within the past month or is an active MML leader (having taught at least two MML classes, the last one within the past six months). In addition, graduates and leaders from the Relationship Enhancement (RE) program are eligible to become MML coaches by attending this MML Skills Refresher Class first.
- MML Coaching Fundamentals Training: This 3-hour training provides instruction in coaching techniques and an emphasis on the role of a coach, i.e., that a coach does not give advice or therapy and is to coach only the MML skills. Plenty of coaching practice will occur in this training so that trainees will become more comfortable in their roles as in-class and phone coaches. At the training, further practice coaching by phone will be assigned.
REQUIREMENTS TO SIGN UP FOR THE COACHING TRAINING:
1) Call your MML leader (i.e., the coordinating person or organization with whom you do your MML work), who will contact their designated Coaching Supervisor. The Coaching Supervisor will work with you to become an Authorized MML Skills Coach.
2) Email Ken Morris at KenM@CaMarriage.com with the following information:
- Your name, email, and phone number
- Your MML leader’s name, email or phone number, and the date you completed your MML class
- Proof of completion of your MML class (certificate or email from MML leader)
NOTE: If you intend to waive the MML Skills Refresher Class, please provide proof of having completed an MML class within the last month (certificate, dates of attendance, etc.). If you have any questions regarding the MML Coaching Training, please contact KenM@CaMarriage.com.
PICTURE GRAPHIC SHOWING…
“TRAINING & AUTHORIZING MML SKILLS COACHES WITHIN YOUR ORGANIZATION”
Click on this link: MML Skills Coach Training Graphic Then click on the icon at the link. You can save this pdf file for your records and to print.